Audition Notice: Boo!
Posted by carmen on Aug 23, 2014
- Written and directed by Corinna Hayes
- Run Dates: October 18, 25, November 1
- Auditions: September 8, 9
The very smart and sweet middle-schooler Beauford “Boo” Bridges never felt as if he connected with his classmates – especially with the school bully, Power, tormenting him. With the help of his younger brother and Giles, his dramatic talking computer, he devises a ‘top secret” Halloween plan that he’s sure will gain him friends and stop the bully once and for all. Along the way, he has to impress the new girl at school, avoid his sisters’ attempts to thwart his plan, and learn that there’s more to some people than what’s on the surface – but can he pull it off? This fun and charming Halloween adventure is full of surprises and will leave viewers believing that superheroes can be found in the unlikeliest of places. It’s suitable for all ages and not-at-all scary!
In alphabetical order.
- ADELAIDE: Age 12-14. Absolutely loves to read (she’s at the top of her class, alongside Boo). She’s no-nonsense and doesn’t tolerate immaturity or meanness. Frustrated with how most people her age act, she is a bit antisocial – except for her unlikely best friend, Summer, who helps bring her out of her shell.
- AUSTIN “POWER” BAUERS: Age 14-15, though could be older due to appearance. Considered the biggest bully in school, his classmates have nicknamed him “Power” because he is incredibly tall and intimidating. He specifically seems to torment Boo quite a bit. But, is Power more than just the bully that he seems to be?
- BEAUFORD “BOO”: Age 12-14. Boo is the most sweet, caring kid in the world, but he is possibly too smart for his own good. Stereotypically geeky in appearance. He wants to impress the new girl at school, Candie, as well as gain some new friends along the way.
- CANDICE “CANDIE” HART: Age 12-14. A new girl at school who arrives with her fraternal twin brother, Killian. Because of her peppy-ness and glamour, people would be surprised to learn that she love things like costumes and comic books as much as Boo does! Boo is instantly infatuated with her.
- GILES: Age 16 to adult. Boo’s talking computer, whom he programmed himself. British, snarky, and perhaps overly-emotional for a computer, Giles helps Boo with day-to-day tasks. Could be played by a real person “inside” a computer preferably, but a pre-recorded voice-over is an option.
- HAZEL: Age 16-17. Boo’s oldest sister. Hazel is jealous and overbearing, feeling as though Boo steals most of the attention and praise from their parents. She wants to find a way to bring Boo down a peg or two in her parent’s eyes so that she and her sister receive more attention.
- JASPER: Age 12-14. “Sidekick” to the biggest bully in school, Power. He goes along with Power’s bullying and joins in, but remains a bit more neutral. Despite being mean to others, he is a true and loyal friend to Power.
- KENNA: Age 15-16. Boo’s second-oldest sister. Kenna isn’t as inclined as Hazel is to badmouth her brother, but is often dragged into Hazel’s plans to “take him down” and is often stepped on by Hazel.
- KILLIAN HART: Age 12-14. A new boy at school who arrives with his fraternal twin sister, Candie. Killian befriends Boo instantly, but is there something less trustworthy under the surface?
- MS. NEWMAN: Age 26+. Teacher of the 8th grade class at school. Nice in demeanor but regards Boo as her clear favorite.
- REESE: Age 12-14. A bit of an “every man,” Reese just wants everyone to get along, and rarely seems to be able to catch a break. As a Boy Scout, he seems to have an adventurous streak.
- SUMMER: Age 12-14. Though she is pretty air-headed and misguided, Summer has a great heart and adores her best friend, Adelaide. Summer has a huge crush on “Power,” the school bully, and goes out of her way to try to catch his attention.
- XANDER: Age 7-9. Boo’s younger brother and best friend. He always has his brother’s back and loves to participate in his older brother’s schemes.
Category: Magic Theatre